About Me

My photo
Philippines
I live my life through God, ethics, conviction, experiences, books, motion pictures and music… and the thought of an eternal life & utopia after my intertwined fate of mortality.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Facebook Revolution

Anyway, I swear I have witnessed "The Facebook" back in 2005. It was the time when the Facebook expanded to Europe or England if i may say so. Facebook got well-known here in the Philippines by 2007? or 2008? I can't believe, I've known Facebook years before it was famous here. Cool!


You see, I have this British cousin named Raymond. I met him January 5, 2005 if I'm not mistaken. He was so fond of me, when he got back home, he kept on calling me. But as you all know the entire globe has a time difference. I remember him calling me at 4 am in the morning. Since Philippines is 8 hours advanced then it's about 8 pm British time. I usually wake up at 5:30 am to get ready for school. Talk about lack of sleep. Sometimes he calls me during the night (here), though.

I wasn't bothered, actually. I find foreign people, interesting. He's pure Filipino, though. He's just born and raised in Oxford. But "bloody hell", the accent's just difficult to understand.  And i was a Harry Potter fanatic back then. So i was interested n Britons! I remember telling him.. "come again?" over and over.. I learned a lot from him especially the difference between American English and British English. I've always thought they were the same until that time. I'll share that, some other time. :)

So one time, we were talking and he was like "Do you have Facebook?" and i was like "What's that?" He said "It's sort of like Friendster" and I replied "I don't have one." Then he said "You should make one." Friendster was really famous back then but I don't even have an fs account that time. I joined fs back in 2006 and my functioning fb in 2009. I don't really know why i didn't make an fs account back in high school. We have an internet connection as early as 2001 and I've learned computers as early as 1997 - when i was in grade 1. Maybe I want to be different and i don't like things that are so mainstream. All of my classmates were so into it, I actually found it corny. Peace! But i did join fs. So don't get annoyed. Oh well!

One night I became so curious on Facebook, I tried to make one. To my dismay, I couldn't get in. I couldn't get passed the choose-your-school registration. I have to choose my school back then and my school was not on the list. I'm afraid to use other schools so i didn't bother anymore.

When Facebook got so famous here, I was like "What the? Facebook? That site i tried to register years ago?" That explains why I couldn't join Facebook when it was a rising social network here. I could have that account way before people knew.

Friendster died and all people were moving to fb. It didn't matter, actually. My laptop broke and I moved out to a dorm and there's no internet connection. So i lived in silence without the social network. It was only when my boyfriend made me an account. I didn't check fb that often. I think I'm checking it once every 3 months. Haha. I was busy with school and my dorm mate's laptop is also broken. (lahat sira?)

I got obsessed with Facebook last year only. And can you believe it, I've been starting to play Farmville just now? Haha...

So it's only now that i realized why it was like that before. It was designed to invite people from selected schools only. But now, it's worldwide. I'm just wondering how i saw Facebook before. I'm being sappy again. But forgive me, I saw Facebook before my friends saw it. I could have had that account for 6 years now.

I got so curious, i keep on playing social network again and again... I saw how Mark Zuckerberg made the designs for the page. I wondered - did i see the exact same thing?


-- this is The Facebook for Harvard only.



-- this is The Facebook for the Ivy League schools and all the other big school in the United States.
I can't believe I didn't read it. Haha.. How come Boston University was there? Was it because of Jessica Alona? Maybe.


I don't remember the registration page, even for a bit. I just know that i knew it when it was famous abroad.


-- This is the Facebook that i know. This is what i used to see before when i login. I wish i knew what Facebook looked like before.


-- This is Facebook now. The future of Facebook is all about phones now - at least that's what I've heard on Mark Zuckerberg's interview on 60 minutes. Got it fresh from my desktop. I don't want the future. I want the past. I want to be part of Facebook when it was just starting.. Sigh*

But when i think of it. 50 years from now, i shall be part of Facebook's history. I am one of the Facebook generation. The welcome page would change as time passes by so i have this little treasure of mine here in my blog. Uhm... Blogger... please don't die,so that i can show this to my grandchildren.

Long Live Facebook.
& Blogger



BTW, I should've registered on Facebook under a different school back then...
Sorry for mentioning Facebook too much. So redundant! No time to edit!

No comments:

Post a Comment